Clear Ballistics Gel Block Review

What's up everyone, welcome back! This week is going to look a little different as we review the Clear Ballistics block I shot last week. 


As I mentioned in the last video, I bought the 9mm Test Kit #1, a 10% FBI Block, and a reheating mould. So let's talk about the gel. When I unboxed the gel, I was incredibly impressed with just how clear it really is. You can see right through it with ease which made shooting the ballistics test alot of fun. In hindsight, I would have taken the time to run a hair dryer over the gel and smooth out the packing wrinkles as recommended... live and learn. 

Anyway, I bought the 9mm Test Kit #1 which came with a 10% FBI Block, and 6 different types of defensive ammo, and I bought a second FBI Block and the reheating mould. The block measures 16" long, by 6" square, but I just had a feeling I should buy a second block, so I did, and I'm really glad, half of the ammo brands included in the test kit exceeded 16 inches of penetration. For those wondering, the Winchester PDX1, Hornady Critical Duty, and the Sig V-Crown all exceeded 16" of penetration and made it into the second block, though the Winchester PDX1 just barely did so. 

Overall, I really enjoyed shooting the gel. The wound channel from each round is well defined, and very easy to see. It's also nice to clearly see each round and how it rests in the gel and if it tumbled, dropped, or stayed true. 

Now, another awesome feature of the gel is the ability to melt it down, and remake it into another clear block. That's what this week's video is about. 

Clear Ballistics claims that their gel will remain clear through 6 reheatings before it begins to yellow. Pretty good bargain if you ask me, although I will have to do a side by side with bargain gel from the grocery store to really give an honest opinion. 

Clear Ballistics provides these instructions for melting and remaking the gel. 

*For Metal Molds*
Equipment Needed:
- Constant heat source to maintain 250F to 270F
- Metal mold

1. Remove all foreign material from gel
2. Tear or cut gel into small pieces and place in mold
3. Place mold into heat source such as oven or turkey roaster. If turkey roaster is used, please cover
4. Heat gel for 4 hours or until all bubbles are gone from center of the gel
5. Allow mold and gel to cool for at least 12 hours
6. After gel has cooled, remove gel by standing mold/gel on its end, place hand between mold and gel while slowly pulling gel out

*Clear Ballistics is not responsible for any damage that may occur during the re-melting process. 

*Neither am I, for that matter. 

*Also, per Clear Ballistics, do not allow the gel to exceed 275F as it increases the likelihood of the gel spontaneously combusting. With that being said, I plan on heating the gel to 260F in this weekend's video. 

I hope to see you this weekend for the re-melting video! I'm really excited to try it out and see how it goes!

I hope you all enjoy the upcoming video. Be sure to check out Idaho Rifleman on Facebook and Instagram! If you haven't already, head over to YouTube and search the Idaho Rifleman channel and check out my previous videos. 

God bless, 
Idaho Rifleman 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Affiliate Marketing

9mm vs 9x18 vs 380 Ballistics Test!

Hunting Ballistics: 300AAC Blackout