Winchester Model 1894: 25-35 WCF

Hey y'all, welcome back to blog. This week we have another Winchester. This one is the Model of 1894 25-35 WCF Saddle Ring Carbine and she's beautiful! Seriously, serial records put this rifle somewhere between 1901 and 1910 (1908 is the most likely) and it's in beautiful condition. I'm almost scared to shoot it because it's so nice!


Up until I got my hands on this rifle, I'd never heard of the 25-35, so I did some research and found that it was introduced in the same year as the 30-30, 1895. I also learned that in the hyphenated calibers, it typically meant caliber- grains of powder. So the 25-35 is a 25 caliber with 35 grains of powder. Winchester stopped producing rifles in 25-35 around the year 1964.

I really don't know much about shooting this or how the ballistics perform for this. I've read that this was a pretty popular caliber back in the day and that it bagged alot of deer. Which makes sense because its parent cartridge is the 30-30. I've also read reports of hunters bagging elk and moose. I guess you can bag anything with a well placed shot, but yikes... it's still only a 25 caliber. Most people agree it's good for medium deer out to 100 yds, and varmints out to 200 yds.

The rifle came to the channel to demo with an old box of Remington Express "Kleanbore" 117gr soft point "Core-Lokt" ammo, so that's what I'll be using in this video. Unfortunately between the age of this caliber and the great ammo shortage, I don't have any other 25-35 rounds to compare against. While Winchester did begin reproducing rifles in 25-35 in 2005, it wasn't long until they ran into financial hardships. From what I've read, Winchester has kept the ammunition in production, but I've never seen it on a shelf or online in my browsings.

Wikipedia has the ballistic data for a 117gr round nose out of a 24" barrel at: 
Velocity: 2357fps
Energy: 1444ft-lbs
* There's no indication if this data is at the muzzle, 50yds, or 100yds, but based on the numbers and some reading, I think it's safe to say this is probably at the muzzle. 

If you read my post "The 30-30" a few months back, you can reference the ballistic data for Winchester 150gr Round Nose Silver Tip at the muzzle was:
Velocity: 2390fps
Energy: 1902ft-lbs 

By comparison, they're reasonably similar in ballistic data with the 25-35 being just a little less powerful. 

Look for the video on YouTube on the Idaho Rifleman channel and like and follow my pages on Facebook and Instagram by searching Idaho Rifleman. Please be sure to like the video and subscribe to the channel on YouTube.

I look forward to seeing you all this weekend. 

God bless, 
Idaho Rifleman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Affiliate Marketing

9mm vs 9x18 vs 380 Ballistics Test!

Hunting Ballistics: 300AAC Blackout