Hunting Ballistics: 300AAC Blackout

Ok, so it's been a minute. I'm trying to catch up the blog here. This video was made with a Smith and Wesson MP15 Sport Lower with a 300 Blackout Upper. We used a 135gr 300 Blackout round into 10% clear ballistic gel at 50 yards to determine if this caliber makes for a decent hunting round. 

The Gun:
The rifle was very comfortable overall. The recoil is pretty minimal and easy to handle. The upgrades that had been made to the different components of the rifle made it very comfortable to use during this demo. 

The scope was a Nikon Buck Master and held true during the test. It has a very clear glass and very vivid picture. It's a very nice scope and I was very impressed by it. 

One thing I noticed shooting this rifle was that the round is slow. You're shooting a .308 caliber projectile out of a casing that has been cut down from something that was originally meant for an average of a 60gr .223 caliber projectile. So it is moving slow.

The Ammo:
Hornady Ammo, in my non-compensated, personal opinion, is some of the best ammo out there. You're definitely buying the name, and the performance shows it. I've always found it reliable and consistent. 

For this test we used Hornady Custom 135gr FTX putting out 2,085FPS of velocity at the muzzle. 

The round performed very well. It held straight and true and had good penetration into the gel block. The ballistic results gave us a hit that was straight and true with good expansion and 20 inches of penetration. 

300 Blackout was designed to be a hard hitting close quarter combat round. It definitely performs well for that. I've talked to people who say that shooting steel at 100yds, it's very slow and you can hear a very distinct delay between the shot and the round hitting the target.

I had alot of fun making this video and I am really glad I was able to get my hands on one of these to demo. I feel like the 300 Blackout definitely passed the test and would make a good hunting round. At least at 50 yards, I would definitely limit my shots to right around that 100 yard mark though just based on the speed of the round. 

You can check out the video here:
YouTube: https://youtu.be/6ODC3eTy5Cg

Facebook: https://fb.watch/9WsEO7Vemw

Please be sure to like and follow me on social media, and subscribe to my YouTube channel. All links are below:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/idahorifleman

Instagram: https://instagram.com/idahorifleman?utm_medium=copy_link

YouTube: 
https://youtube.com/channel/UCw7zYUTSSLYZIi31itb9kCA/

Liking, subscribing, and following all really help me out by knowing how I'm best able to reach all of you, my followers. Subscribing also helps grow the YouTube channel which will help me continue to bring you all gun content that you all want to see. 

Thanks for checking out the blog!

God bless, 
Idaho Rifleman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Affiliate Marketing

9mm vs 9x18 vs 380 Ballistics Test!

41 Magnum vs 44 Magnum Ballistics Test