The 30-30


Hey, everybody! Thanks for checking out the blog. This week we're going to be taking a look at the 30-30, particularly, a 1959/1960 Winchester Model 94 lever action. Winchester serial numbers are a little hard to track, but this rifle definitely falls into one of those years. 

I've got to say, I love these rifles. My dad had one when I was growing up and it was an awesome, all around carry rifle. Our area is pretty dense for hunting, alot of trees, alot of brush, you're lucky to get anywhere near 100 yards for a shot. This rifle is perfect for those close "brush gun" shots. It's got plenty of knock down power for a deer up to 100 yards, but I'd probably think twice before squeezing off a shot on an elk at that same range. 

The recoil is pretty mild making these rifles an absolute joy to shoot. The tubular magazine holds 7 rounds, but where I'm from, you can only have a max of 5 rounds in the rifle while you're hunting. The lever action is smooth and clean which is followed by a crisp trigger pull which combines for a great day of shooting.

These rifles are very versatile and make a great deer rifle for shots up to 100 yards and they're great ranch rifles for the bigger varmints... but I guess you could have fun shooting ground squirrels too. "Overkill is underrated my friend". And let's face it, a lever action just looks right in the gun rack of a pickup truck. 

I got my hands on one of these rifles and I'll be putting out a video on YouTube doing some ballistics shooting. I got a handful of different rounds to try out - they're listed below:

Winchester Super X 150gr Silvertip
-  2390fps velocity with 1902ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle
- 2019fps velocity with 1357ft-lbs of energy at 100yds. 

* This is data that I found through Google. There is no box giving me ballistics or drop for this ammo. I'm also only about 90% sure that these are 150gr. 

Winchester Super X 170gr Power-Point
- 2200fps velocity with 1827ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle
- 1827fps velocity with 1332ft-lbs of energy at 100yds with 0 drop. 

Federal 170gr Fusion
- 2200fps velocity with 1825ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle
- 1950fps velocity with 1435ft-lbs of energy at 100yds with 0 drop

Hornady LEVERevolution 160gr FTX
- 2400fps velocity with 2046ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle
- 2150fps velocity with 1643ft-lbs of energy at 100yds with +3.0" rise 

Hornady Zombie Max 160gr Z-Max
- 2400fps velocity with 2046ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle
- 2150fps velocity with 1643ft-lbs of energy at 100yds with +3.0" rise 

I hope you guys have a great week, head over to YouTube and check out the Idaho Rifleman channel this weekend and look for the ballistics video on the Winchester 1894 30-30! If you're a new follower, head over there now and check out our last video on the 54 caliber muzzleloader!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube at Idaho Rifleman to get the latest updates on content! 

Thanks for stopping by!

God bless, 
Idaho Rifleman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Affiliate Marketing

9mm vs 9x18 vs 380 Ballistics Test!

Hunting Ballistics: 300AAC Blackout